With the summer holidays fast approaching, teletextholidays.co.uk has revealed that there’s a big regional divide when it comes to Brits choosing their ideal holiday hotspot. Analysis of holidays taken from the UK last year proves that where you come from does determine where you go…
Having helped millions of people go on holiday over the past two decades, teletextholidays.co.uk is, for the first time, sharing its unique insight into where we Brits are more likely to travel for a great value beach getaway:
- Sun-loving Liverpudlians are 48% more likely to head to Costa Blanca than the average Brit
- Barcelona tops the list for Brummies, looking to mix culture with the beach (31%ǂ)
- Those from Leeds (33%ǂ) and Manchester (19%ǂ) favour the sunny climate of Fuerteventura
- Geordies are almost twice as likely (84%) to sun-seek on the Costa Brava than anyone else
- Party-loving folk from York chose to dance the night away in Ibiza (33%ǂ)
- Beach-ready Bristolians fly to Faro (36%ǂ)
- Londoners are more than three times likely◊ to travel to Marrakech than the rest of the UK
- Majorca, with the bright nightlife of Magaluf and Palma, is the preferred destination for those from Cardiff (25%ǂ)
- Plymouth (33%ǂ) and Brighton (48%ǂ) prefer Gran Canaria over other holiday destinations
- The Scots are also divided, with Glaswegians preferring to head to the Costa Del Sol and the likes of popular celebrity hotspots such as Marbella (77%ǂ), while those from Edinburgh are more likely to head to Barcelona (47%ǂ)
- Those in Norwich are also 82% more likely to ‘go Greek’ and book a holiday in Paphos than anyone else travelling there
- Those from Belfast are (59%ǂ) more likely to travel to Majorca than the average Brit
Duration of a holiday is another factor that splits the nation; with Londoners more likely to take a short three-night break (43%ǂ), whereas those in the North of England prefer a lengthy holiday of over two weeks (24%ǂ), according to an extract of over 100,000 bookings made in 2015 with the UK’s longest established digital travel agent; teletextholidays.co.uk.
The analysis of bookings also showed that while 3* and 4* accommodation is still the most popular way to spend a holiday, those in the East, South and London are more likely to splash the cash and stay in a 5* hotelɸ when they go abroad.
Wayne Perks, Managing Director at teletextholidays.co.uk, comments; “We’ve been sending Brits on holiday for over 20 years and know the places they love to go, but it’s interesting to see the nation’s holiday habits were so clear cut for the different regions. People clearly love to talk about their time away and make recommendations to close friends, neighbours, colleagues and family – getting to know how our customers like to spend their time abroad has a big impact on what we do.”
For more information or last minute holiday deals visit teletextholidays.co.uk.